Gumla used to be a part of the district of Lohardaga during the administration of British Government. Gumla was included in the Bishnupur province in the year 1834. Following that, it was called as Ranchi. All the more, in the year 1899, the district of Ranchi was established. The sub-division of Gumla was included in the Ranchi District in the year 1902. In the year of 1983, the district of Gumla was separated out of the Ranchi District for good.
The natural beauty of Gumla is quite mesmerizing. It is surrounded by thick forests full of luxurious greeneries, undulating hilly landscape and sparkling rivers. There are numerous places of interests in and around Gumla such as waterfalls, intriguing historical and archeological sites and the beauty of the nature.
PLACES TO VISIT IN GUMLA
Anjan: A small hamlet called Anjan is situated at a distance of 18 Kms from Gumla. The name has been given after the name of the Goddess called Anjani, who was Mahaveer Hanuman’s mother. On a hill there is a cave called the Anjani Gufa, which is located at a distance of 4 Kms from the village. From this very location many items of archeological significance have been found.
Nagar: This place is located in the block named Sisai. One can see a fort which has been constructed by the Nagbansi Kings.
Basudeokona: The presence of religious made out of stones has made this place famous. The distance of this place from the block headquarters of Raidih is a mere 3 Kms.
Taraloya: One can see a mesmerizing waterfall here. ‘Perwahatt’ is the name given by the dwellers of this place to the fall. The distance between this place and the block headquarters of Raidih is 30 Kms.
Panch pandava pahar: The Bishnupur block contains this place. The Panch Pandava Pahar is nothing but a group of five numbers of hills; thus the name ‘Panch Pandava Pahar’. During the time period of their exile, the Pandavas stayed here for a short while.
Nagpheni: Right in the heart of the blocks named Gumla and Sisai, Nagpheni is located. The presence of Jagarnath temple has made this location renowned. One can also find here a huge rock, which takes the form of a snake otherwise known as ‘nag’.
Palkot: In Ramayana, one can find the mention of Pampapur, the location of which is on the Rishimukh Parvat. According to the dwellers of this village, Palkot is the same as the ancient Pampapur. This belief is backed up by the logic that there are many similarities in the locations mentioned in Ramayana and those located in and around this village of Palkot.
Tanginath: One can see several specimens of architectures ranging from the time period between the archaic times to the medieval time period. This location is renowned for being the shivasthali and also for the existence of an eminent trishool, which has been made out of rustproof iron.
Khaya banaroo: The beautiful location is located at a distance of 10 Kms from the headquarters of the district. This place is wrapped in luxurious beauty of the nature.
Rajadera: The village of Rajadera is located in the block of Chainpur, which is set at a distance of 26 Kms from Netarhat. The terrain of this place as well as its climatic condition appeals to the visitors. The mighty hills encircle this place on all facades. The natural beauty of the river named Shankh and the sparkling waterfall of Gumla are quite mesmerizing sights. The altitude of the waterfall is 2600 feet.
Hapamuni: The archaic and renowned hamlet of Hapamuni is located in the block of Ghaghara. The famous temple of Mahamaya marks this village. Gajghat Ray, who was the Naga Dynasty’s 22nd King, constructed this temple. He was also the son of Raj Mohan Ray. Guru Harinath, who was the Guru of Gajghat Ray, was given the responsibility of looking after the temple by himself. A picture of Lord Vishnu was set up by Raja Shivdas Karn.
Kamdara: An archaic Lord Shiva Temple is present at the base of the hill. The distance of this location and the headquarters of Kamdara is a mere 10 Kms. During the occasion of Shivratri, a spectacular fair is hosted here.
Mahadeokona: There are huge numbers of shiva lingas present here. The distance between this location and the headquarters of Gumla is a mere 2 Kms. Located on the river bed of the Koyal River, Mahadeokona is a small village. Numerous mighty hills encircle this place. As per legends, there existed an eminent Lord Shiva temple here dating back to the time period before than the Mahabharata. The relics of this archaic temple can still be seen. The temple was made up of stone. The beauty of the murhar pahar and the murhar manda or cave is unique. It is said that till some ten years back, one could hear lions roaring in the cave.
Dewaki: The religious location of Devaki is located on the river bed of Ghaghra. A renowned temple of Shiva-Parvati is present here. The natural beauty of the location appeals to the tourists. Hundreds of devotees come here from varied parts of the country to pour water over the shiva linga. The existence of the shiva linga can be traced back to the time of medieval time period and was discovered between 1967 and 1968.
HOW TO REACH GUMLA
By air: The closest air terminal is located in Ranchi.
By rail: The closest railway station located to Gumla is the Bano Railway Station.
By road: Gumla is located on the National Highway 23. One can reach this place via buses, taxis and private cars.