The Lower Dibang Valley district, with the its administrative headquarters at Roing is the newest of the fifteen districts of Arunachal Pradesh. It is located in the eastern part of Arunachal Pradesh. It derives its name from the River Dibang-one of the major tributaries of mighty Brahmaputra. The district shares its borders with the Dibang Valley district on the north, the Lohit district and Mc Mohan Line on the east and the eastern and Upper Siang districts of Arunachal Pradesh on the west and the Tinsukia district of Assam on the south. The district rises from the Himalayan foothills to the middle ranges with the highest point of Mayudia at an altitude of 2655 meters from mean sea level. Snow-capped peaks, turbulent rivers, mystic valleys and abundance of rich flora & fauna are the major attractions of the district. The district is well known for its dense cover of thick green forest with almost 80% of the area being notified and identified as reserved forest, wild life sanctuaries or unclassified state forests.
Lower Dibang Valley History
In the 1943, some areas from both the Sadiya Frontier Tract and the Lakhimpur Frontier Tract were carved out and Tirap Frontier Tract was formed. In the year 1948, under the North East Frontier Tracts Regulation, 1948, the remaining portion on the Sadiya Frontier Tract was divided into two separate administrative charges, namely the Abor Hills District and the Mishmi Hills District, each under the charge of a Political Officer with the administrative headquarters at Pasighat and Sadiya respectively. In the year 1951, the plains portion of the Mishmi Hills District was transferred to administrative jurisdiction of the Government of Assam. In the year 1952, the headquarters of the Mishmi Hills District was shifted from Sadiya to Tezu.
According to the North East Frontier, areas Regulation Act, 1954, the North-East Frontier Tract was given the name North-East Frontier Agency and the Mishmi Hills District was renamed as the Lohit Frontier Division. In the year 1956, the Dibang Valley was constituted as a separate administrative unit within the division and placed under the charge of Additional Political Officer with his headquarters at Roing which was consequently shifted to Anini. In the year 1965, under the North-East Frontier Agency Regulation Act, 1956 the Lohit Frontier Division came to be known by its present name the Lohit District and the Political Officer and Additional Political Officer were re-designated as the Deputy Commissioner and Additional Deputy Commissioner respectively. In June, 1980 under the Arunachal Pradesh, Act 1980 the Lohit District was bifurcated into two independent districts namely Lohit District and Dibang Valley District, with their administrative headquarters at Tezu and Anini respectively.
The Lower Dibang Valley district was carved out of the un-divided Dibang Valley district with its administrative headquarters at Roing as per the Amendment of Re-organization of the District Act of 1980 with effect from 16th December 2001.
Lower Dibang Valley Tourism
Tourist places in Lower Dibang Valley
Mehao Wildlife Sanctuary
Nehru Van Udyan (Forest Park)
Ita and Padum Pukhuri