The district of Khandwa is situated in the state of Madhya Pradesh, formerly known as East Nimar. The city of Khandwa is the districts administrative headquarters. The District lies in the Nimar region; it includes the lower valley of River Narmada forming the northern boundary of the district, and the Satpura Range forming the southern boundary of the district. Burhanpur District to the south lies amid the basin of River Tapti. The Satpura pass connects Khandwa and Burhanpur, it is one of the main routes connecting northern, southern India, and the fortress of Asirgarh, which commands the pass, is known as the "Key to the Deccan". Betul and District of Harda lie to the east, the District of Dewas to the north, and the District of Khargone to the west.
Prior the reorganization of states, i.e., on 1st November 1956, the District was officially known as Nimar District and part of Mahakoshal region of the erst-while state of Madhya Pradesh. The Holkar held the former Prant Nimar, which eventually became a part of Madhya Bharat, when that state was formed in the year 1948. As on the reorganization of States, Madhya Bharat region was merged in Madhya Pradesh and the western part of old Prant Nimar eventually became a part of Madhya Pradesh. This area along with its headquarters at Khargone, too retained its old name of Nimar, and since it was towards the western region of former Nimar of Mahakoshal region, it was named as Nimar or West Nimar, the District was officially renamed as Nimar or East Nimar from 1st November, 1956. On 15th August, 2003 and it was divided in two Districts, the Khandwa & the Burhanpur.
The Marathas surrendered the Khandwa District to the British Raj in 1818, and later on it became the part of the Central Provinces and Berar. The area to the west, the present Khargone district, was formerly the part of the princely state of Indore. After India acquired independence in 1947, the Central Provinces and Berar became part of the newly formed state of Madhya Pradesh. Prior 1956, when western region of Madhya Bharat merged with the state of Madhya Pradesh, Khandwa District bore the name of Nimar. The present Khargone District of Madhya Bharat was also called Nimar, so the districts were renamed as East and west Nimar. Till recent times Khandwa was known as East Nimar. Burhanpur District got separated from Khandwa District on August 15, 2003 and acquired an individual identity.
The climate of the District is pleasant and healthy. The District is rather dry with average annual rainfall of 980.75 mm. The northern part of the District receives higher rainfall than the southern part. The monsoon season starts approximately by 10th June every year and extends up to early October. The days are quite humid. The maximum temperature recorded in the month of May is 42 degree Celsius and minimum of 10 degree Celsius in the month of December.
East Nimar Tourism
Formerly, this was the only place that connected the northern, eastern, southern and western rail routes. North Delhi, South Bombay and West Baroda were directly connected, where as Kolkata was connected through Bhusawal Junction. Swami Dayananda Saraswati, Swami Vivekananda, Mahatma Gandhi, Lokmanya Tilak and many more prominent personalities visited the place during there all India visit. The Location, easy availability of resources and other socio-economic factors contributed in developing the place into a sought out Industrial region. The place also has several ancient kunds that adds up to it ancient heritage.
Tourist places in East Nimar
Ghantaghar (Clock Tower), Khandwa
Dam at Narmada Nagar near Punasa
Dada Dhuni Wale Darbar Khandwa
The District Collectorate Building, Khandwa
Turja Bhavani Mata Temple, Khandwa
Nav Chandi Devi Dham, Khandwa
Nagchun Dam, Khandwa
Gauri Kunja, Khandwa