The state of Manipur, India constitutes of nine districts, out of which the district of Senapati is one. During the Maratha Rule, the term Senapati denoted an inherited title of nobleness and aristocracy. When a battle is going on during the time of war, the task of a Sardar Senapati or Sarsenapati, who acts as the Commander-in-Chief, is to synchronize all the orders of different Sardars.
The eldest son gets the title of Senapati, which is a primogeniture inheritable title, dissimilar to Sardar. Many a number of royal Senapati lineages still exist today, such as the families of Ghorpade and Dabhade. The southern frontier of the district of Senapati is surrounded by Imphal District, the eastern frontier by Ukhrul District and the western frontier by the district of Tamenglong, while the district of Phek of the state of Nagaland rests on the northern boundary of Senapati district. 1061 to 1788 meters above the sea level, is the elevation range at which the district is set.
Manipurs northern portion contains the district of Senapati. The southern frontier of the district of Senapati is surrounded by Imphal East District, the eastern frontier by Ukhrul District and the western frontier by the district of Tamenglong, while the district of Phek of the state of Nagaland rests on the northern boundary of Senapati district. All along the north south direction, the hill ranges are situated. The inclination of these hills is in the direction of south. Ultimately it runs into the Imphal Valley. Manipur North District was the former name of the Senapati District. 14th November, 1969 onwards, this district of Manipur North came into existence. Karong was made the administrative headquarters of the district. However, afterwards, on 13th December, 1976, the relocation of the district headquarters from Karong to Senapati took place. 15th July, 1983 onwards, the district of Manipur North was recognized as the Senapati District. Blue colored hills, valleys covered in lush green, meandering streams and rivers running in between mountains and deep gorges gift the District with a landscape showcasing a huge and beautiful assortment of colors. The district is decorated with a plush and intense variety of plant and animal kingdom. People carry out agriculture as their chief profession. The people of this place usually do terrace cultivation. The major crops of the district are Paddy, Maize, Cabbage, Potato and cereals. Forest land adds up to almost 80 percent of the total land. The rest of the land, which counts for 20 percent of the total land, is the arable land.
A moist subtropical weather prevails in the district of Senapati. The fertility aspect of the soil is reasonable. The soil of the district comprises of clay loam soil, composed of small bits of loam and clay. 3.4 Degree Celsius is the minimum temperature and 34.1 degree Celsius is the maximum temperature. The temperature varies between these lower and upper limits. 670 mm to 1,450 mm is the range of the standard yearly precipitation. Around 110 watersheds are located in the district, having the physical dimension of 2,000 hectares to 3000 hectares. In approximately 5 numbers of main rivers or streams having diverse characteristics and features, these watersheds are exhausted.
The places in Senapati of tourist interests are mentioned below:-