Situated at a distance of 28 Kms from Bettiah, in its north-west direction, the town of Lauria Nandangarh is the administrative headquarters of the district of the state of Bihar named West Champaran. The name Laurya has been given after the memorial which is situated here, which is the Pillar or Laur of Ashoka, the great Mauryan Emperor. Located at a distance of 2 Kms from the Ashoka Pillar, in its south-west direction, a mound is located here which is called Nandangarh. The historical evidences supports the fact that Ashoka constructed 40 pillars in Lauriya Nandangarh; however the current time witnesses the presence of only one such pillar, which is exists in intact shape and condition.
The altitude of the pillar constructed by Ashoka is 32 feet. The pillar has been made out of sandstone. 35 inches is the diameter of the structure at the bottom of the structure, while 26 inches is the diameter of the structure at the top portion. The apex of the pillar contains a spherical abacus on which the lion’s statue stands. Carved wonderfully and noticeably on the pillar is the Emperor Ashoka’s edict. Till the current day, the polish of the Mauryan time period maintains the luster and the beautiful glow.
Set in three separate rows, there are 20 mounds that have been found in this location. The relics of a large Stupa were found when an excavation was carried out in the location of Nandangarh. The altitude of the mound is 82 feet and the stupa has a bottom, having a circumference of 1500 feet. The excavation has led to the discovery of the Stupa as well as other items such as stone beads, figures made of terracotta, cast coins with punched marks dating back to the 2nd century AD. As per the legends, the Stupa also houses the sacred ashes of Lord Buddha.